The following is my entry in The Classic Movie Ice Cream Social Blogathon, being hosted May 20-23, 2016 by Fritzi at the blog Movies Silently. Click on the above banner, and read a wide variety of reviews, articles, and recipes related to bloggers’ happy movie-related memories!
Many a scene in the comedies of Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy involved the duo running away from something or someone (usually an authority figure), only to be inconveniently halted by a nefarious mud puddle. I doubt that this sort of thing happens very often to the average citizen, but mud puddles are ubiquitous in the films of Stan and Ollie.
In honor of my lifelong comedy heroes, I’d like to gift you with my recipe for a unique dessert named “Dirt Cake.” I nabbed the recipe about 25 years ago after a co-worker brought the dessert to a company luncheon, and it has been a hit with everyone to whom I’ve presented it ever since. (Yes, I know, dirt technically isn’t the same as mud — but once you take a bite of this, all such hair-splitting will instantly cease.)
Dirt Cake Recipe
1/3 cup of butter or margarine
1 8-oz. container of Cool Whip
1 package of Oreo cookies
2 packages of instant French vanilla or white chocolate pudding
1 8-oz. container of cream cheese
1 cup of powdered sugar
3-1/2 cups of milk
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk pudding mix, milk, and Cool Whip. Then add in cream cheese mixture.
- Crush all of the Oreos. (I choose to put the cookies in a gallon-size Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin, but do whatever works best for you.)
- Layer the cookie and pudding mixtures together.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- As a crowning touch, if you’re a hard-core Laurel & Hardy buff, you might want to print out a photo of Stan and Ollie in a mud puddle and place it atop your dirt cake.
And there’s another nice mess to get your taste buds into!